Tuesday, February 22, 2011

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie

Well, this certainly is a huge loss for both the comics and animation industry. You can read the article covering his life and passing in more detail here. As the article points out, he became "a voice in the industry for diversity, particularly fighting against stereotypical portrayals of people of color on the comic book page." Characters such as Static Shock and Icon were his creations.

I just saw the All-Star Superman adaptation, and while I've never really read the whole graphic novel, the movie seemed to capture a lot of the meaningful themes of the comic. McDuffie adapted that for the screen. He had done a lot of good work for the animation community. Ben 10 wasnt exactly my favorite show, but it certainly did have its following. It just comes as a great shock to me. The man had so much talent, his name was getting bigger and even non-comic book people were getting to know his name. He's one of those people that I wish I could've met him, gotten to talk to him a bit at least in a convention.

He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment